Our Leadership Team
- Ivy Gamble Cobb, one of the four founders of our agency, is the current Executive Director of The Family Center. Previously, she worked at the NYC Department of Social Services Division of AIDS Services as both a Family Case Manager and a Program Planner. She received her BS from New York University, her MSW from Hunter College School of Social Work and has earned credits towards a Ph.D. in Social Welfare. Ivy is featured in the videos "Remember the Sun" and "A Gift for My Children: Families Talk about Custody Planning" and has co-authored articles on the issue of families affected by parental illness.
- Caroline Bersak is the Director of The Legal Wellness Institute at The Family Center. Caroline first worked with The Family Center as a law student intern in 2007, and then returned as a post-graduate law fellow in 2009. Prior to rejoining The Family Center as a Staff Attorney in 2010, Caroline was an associate in the Commercial Litigation Unit at Day Pitney LLP. Caroline has BAs in both Community Health and Public Policy from Brown University. Caroline worked as a research assistant on healthcare studies before attending law school, including studies on quality of end-of-life care in community hospitals and on management of cardiovascular disease. Caroline received her JD from NYU School of Law, where she was a member and then co-chair of the Health Law Society.
Photo Coming Soon
- Courtney Chambers, Behavioral Health Care Coordination Supervisor, first came to TFC in 2020 as a Case Manager in our Behavioral Health Services team before being promoted to Care Coordination Supervisor in 2021. Prior to this, she served as a Case Manager at BronxWorks and FedCap WeCare in Brooklyn. Ms. Chambers holds a BS from St. John’s University.
- Rubernette Chavis is the Director of Treatment Services at The Family Center and oversees the work of numerous behavioral health teams, including our Irene LeeKong Health & Wellness Institute. Rubernette comes to The Family Center from Vertex Outpatient in the Bronx where she served as Director and managed all daily aspects of the outpatient clinic. Prior to Vertex, Rubernette worked as Program Director at Urban Pathways and Clinic Manager at Beth Israel Medical Center. Rubernette achieved her BA in Psychology from College of New Rochelle and her MSW from Adelphi University.
- Debbie Duggan is The Family Center's Director of Human Resources, who ensures the smooth and steady management and stewardship of our agency's Human Resources. Previously, Debbie served as Human Resources Manager at the Nonprofit Finance Fund and Director of Administration at One Stop Senior Services. Debbie is a certified Professional in Human Resources and SHRM-CP. She earned her BA from York College and a Master's Degree in Education from Hunter College.
- Isaiah Gaines joined The Family Center in 2020 as Operations Manager. Isaiah has over ten years of experience managing operations: planning and maintaining work schedules, updating procedures and policies while performing customer service activities, sales, accounts receivable, Office & Facilities management, billing and payroll duties. Previously, Isaiah worked at Regus Management Group in a variety of roles. Isaiah graduated from Theodore Roosevelt HS and earned college credits at Katherine Gibbs School.
- Marya Gilborn joined the The Family Center staff as a supervisor for our caregiver services and soon thereafter was promoted to Director of Social Services before moving into her current position of Deputy Executive Director for Contract Services and Special Projects. Previously, Marya helped to found the Bronx Charter School for the Arts, and worked in a variety of educational and social service settings around New York City. Marya has an MSW from Hunter College School of Social Work and a BA from Stanford University. Read more about Marya's work at TFC in our 2014 Annual Report!
Lorraine Gotham is the Supervisor of The Family Center’s Irene LeeKong Health & Wellness Institute in Brooklyn. Lorraine joined The Family Center in 2019 as a therapist at the Institute and was promoted in 2021. Prior to joining The Family Center, she was a Specialized Crisis Counselor at the Mental Health Association of NYC and a Recovery Specialist at Brooklyn Community Services. Lorraine graduated from Virginia Commonwealth University as an undergraduate and earned her MS at Long Island University.
Lauren Groetch is the Assistant Director of The Legal Wellness Institute at The Family Center. Lauren first joined The Family Center as a post-graduate law fellow in 2014, and she has since served clients in both the Staff Attorney and Senior Staff Attorney roles at The Family Center. Lauren received her BA in English with distinction from the University of Virginia, and her JD from NYU School of Law, where she was named a Hermann Biggs Health Policy Scholar and a Robert McKay Scholar.
- Jan Hudis, another of our four founders, serves as The Family Center's Deputy Executive Director of Operations. Prior to founding The Family Center, she worked at the NYC Department of Social Services Division of AIDS Services as a Program Planner. Jan holds both an MPA and an MPH from Columbia University. She has also co-authored numerous articles on the issues faced by families affected by HIV/AIDS.
Photo Coming Soon
- Trish Jean-Louis is the current Caregiver Program Supervisor at The Family Center. Previously, Trish worked as a Family Coordinator in our Caregiver Program providing case management services as well as facilitating various support groups. She also served as the intake specialist at The Family Center. Trish has extensive experience in both social services and education. She has worked as a trauma counselor, college advisor and an ESL teacher before coming to The Family Center. Trish has a BA in Sociology with specialization in Africana Studies, a BS in Human Development and an MS in Counseling.
- Rebecca Kim is the Behavioral Health Supervisor for The Family Center’s Family Support and Counseling Program, which focuses on providing high quality counseling services at the community-based level. She is passionate about healing and contemplative practices. Rebecca volunteers with VNSNY hospice care. Rebecca received her BA in Psychobiology from Wellesley College and went on to earn a Master's from Hunter College School of Social Work.
Photo Coming Soon
- Laura Maxfield, QA Data Report Manager, first joined TFC as a Data Coordinator in 2014. Currently she oversees data entry, analytics and the in house EHR Evolv. Surprisingly, her background is in Film, but this is where she honed her project management skills and her technical skills managing film shoots and post production. She has even used those skills to help the Development department create a few promotional videos for the agency. Laura holds a BA from Drew University, from which she graduated Magna Cum Laude. She also received certificate from Brainstation for completing their Data Analytics Course in 2019 and completed 200 hour yoga teacher training in 2016.
- Dave Nimmons is The Family Center's HIV Treatment Education Manager. Dave has worked in HIV services since 1985. The Founding Board Chair of The Family Center, he has served as Deputy Director of Gay Men's Health Crisis and Board President of the NYC LGBT Community Center. The author of six books, he has conducted research on HIV prevention funded by the National Institute of Mental Health. Dave and his team are currently running The Positive Life Workshop (TPLW) at The Family Center. Click here to read more about this great program!
- Aileen Parker is The Family Center’s Director of Development & Communications, responsible for managing private contributions, communications, and volunteerism at our agency. Before TFC, she worked at Greenwich House, where she gained knowledge of local NYC philanthropy, and the March of Dimes, where she worked at the national level to develop volunteer resources. Aileen earned her BA and MSW from Fordham University.
Photo Coming Soon
- Deborah Rosado is the Behavioral Health Supervisor at The Family Center's Certified Community Behavioral Health Center. Deborah has worked at The Family Center since 2007 when she first came to our agency as a Family Coordinator doing case work. She also served as a Counselor in our Family Support and Counseling Program and interned in our LeeKong Institute. Prior to joining The Family Center, Deborah worked at the Research Foundation of CUNY and the Coalition for Hispanic Family Services. She is fully bilingual in English and Spanish, and trained in various trauma-informed, evidence-based child mental health interventions. Deborah earned her BA from Brooklyn College and her Master’s in Mental Health Counseling from Nyack College.
- Joan Salmon is the Deputy Executive Director for Behavioral Health Services at The Family Center. Joan is a LCSW-R with 20-plus years of experience working in behavioral health. She studied pre-medicine at Stony Brook University where she obtained her BS. Joan received her MSW degree from Fordham University. She has had the honor of being a consultant with Columbia University’s Opioid Response Network program providing technical assistance to programs around the opioid epidemic.
- Kristen Wolf is The Family Center’s Child Trauma Program Manager in our LeeKong Health & Wellness Institute, where she initially worked as a therapist when coming to our agency in 2014. Prior to joining The Family Center, she worked as a Therapist at Brooklyn Men (K)onnect, a program at Bridging Access to Care, a Mental Health Counselor in K-8 schools for Comprehensive Psychological Services, and a Group Facilitator for the NYC Grief Connection. Kristen holds a BA in Psychology and Women’s Studies from Syracuse University, and a Masters in Counseling for Mental Health and Wellness from NYU. She is a NYS-licensed Mental Health Counselor and certified in the delivery of many evidence-based therapeutic interventions.